Home > Insurance > Income Protection Insurance

Income Protection Insurance

By: J.A.J Aaronson - Updated: 24 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Insurance Income Life Insurance Health

The variety of types of insurance available can be baffling. The majority of individuals make do with home and motor (or auto) insurance; comparatively few take out life insurance policies. It is important to remember, however, that there are a number of other potentially useful insurance agreements. Income protection can be a vital help in circumstances in which the policy holder is no longer able to earn enough.

Income protection insurance gives a guarantee that, in the event that the policy holder becomes unable to work, at least some of their earnings will be replaced by the insurer. Generally, income protection policies will pay out in instances where the policy holder is no longer able to work as a result of an illness or disability.

Benefits to the Self-Employed

In many cases, employees will have some guarantee of income protection without the necessity for a separate insurance policy. Many employers will make some provision for your financial security in the event of your illness of disability, making income protection insurance (which is sometimes referred to as permanent health insurance) unnecessary. For those who are self-employed, however, this type of insurance is highly recommended. If you are self-employed then you are highly unlikely to have any agreement in place whereby your earnings will be guaranteed if you are unable to work. The only potential exception to this is if you are a member of a trade association or union; some such organisations, for example the Musicians' Benevolent Fund, try to offer financial help to those who are out of work as a result of illness.

The terms of your policy will determine when the insurer pays out. In general, policies will only pay out after a 'deferred period'; this is the minimum period for which you must be unable to work before you will receive any payment. The length of this period will vary depending on the size of your premium. The standard length is four weeks, but many insurers will offer lower premiums in return for a longer deferred period. If you are an employee and looking at income protection insurance, you may wish to agree to a deferred period that corresponds with the maximum amount of paid sick leave that your employer is willing to offer.

Payment Periods

Again, depending on the terms of your policy, the maximum period for which the insurer will pay out may vary. Cheaper policies tend to have a limit of five years for payment, although many insurers will agree to pay out until you are able to go back to work or reach retirement age. This will, however, increase the size of your premiums. Clearly, if you are already nearing retirement age, it makes more sense to take a shorter payment period in exchange for lower premiums.

It is also important to note that income protection insurance will not replace your full salary. In most cases, such policies will make payments equivalent to up to 60% of your pre-tax salary. Any disability or other benefits that you are claiming will also be taken into account; all policies will be capped in such a way that your total income from insurance payouts and benefits cannot total more than 75% of your salary. The terms of different policies can vary wildly, however, and it is therefore important to do some extensive research before making a decision.

It is worth remembering that there has been a series of cases in which income protection insurance (or payment protection insurance) has been judged to have been mis-sold. If you believe that this applies to you, you may wish to read our article on reclaiming payment protection insurance premiums.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Howie
    Re: A Guide to Unemployment Benefits
    On 15 July I have to go to court. I may be looking at a driving ban. If I am (hopefully I won't be) will I be allowed to…
    10 June 2019
  • Crazydiamond
    Re: What is SERPS and What Was 'Contracting Out' ?
    Hi i took the serps option in 1988, I am now 58 but unable to trace this pension, can anyone help me in…
    29 May 2019
  • Lolly
    Re: A Guide to Unemployment Benefits
    Hi i am currently working in the care sector my age is 61 i have been trying to get varicose viens removed for 7 years plus…
    16 May 2019
  • Dave
    Re: Taxation for the Self-Employed
    I am PAYE and Self Employed through CIS. I earned £41k in PAYE and a mere £3500 self employed, (before tax) I have a…
    24 April 2019
  • Stanharris
    Re: Renegotiating Your Loans
    Thanks for sharing a valuable information. It is really informative and helpful. the information that you have shared is really useful.…
    4 April 2019
  • Oggy
    Re: Taxation for the Self-Employed
    I’m a construction worker on cis can I claim back my 20% tax back on my first 12k tax is deducted before I’m paid although I’m…
    1 April 2019
  • Caz
    Re: How Much Tax do I Have to Pay?
    Iv just started working for an agency I will be played weekly they not taken out tax and national insurance I have to have my…
    23 March 2019
  • SylviaBlood
    Re: A Guide to Unemployment Benefits
    an you help me pls I had operation on my kidney followed by chest infection I then went profound deaf had cochlear implant…
    19 February 2019
  • sylv
    Re: A Guide to Unemployment Benefits
    i returnee red to work after 2operations I was on ESA support group con based. I went to work I had my hours cut but unable…
    19 February 2019
  • Jax
    Re: How Much Tax do I Have to Pay?
    I earned £924 for working 99 hours last month yet between tax and national insurance Im just bringing home £690 is this right?
    24 January 2019